Thursday, December 25, 2008

make new friends, but keep the old.. one is silver and the other gold!






When I was 12 years old there was a girl in my class that was reading a Babysitters Club book that I really wanted to read. I asked her if I could borrow it and listed all the books in the series I had. We traded books and then became friends after that.
I spent a lot of time at her house. I was there whenever I could be. Her siblings became like siblings to me. I learned how to put on make up there.
She was there for a lot of my past and for most major events in my life.. such as she was there when my mom married my step-dad. She was there when I went to lamaze with MiKaela. She was there when I had MiKaela. She was there when I became a widow. She was there again and again. We have a bond that is rare... childhood friends are precious. There is a connection that is very similar to the way I feel about my brothers and sister.
Today she and her husband (who I have known since I was 14) came to visit while they were on their trip to Florida. Our children played together. Other than the time the kids spend with their cousins ( my siblings Shawn, Jennifer & Tina's kids) I have never been in that situation and it felt awesome.
I would have never guessed that those two girls would grow up to be these two women





and not only stay in touch through out the years, but would become mothers to these children
(yes, Lisa has a son on the way!)
Today went by too fast.. I am sorry we did not get to spend more time together. However, my heart is full having had this short period in which our children played together.. it meant a lot to me.

No comments: